Quick lunch recipes aromatic cumin paprika, cinnamon and saffron give this chicken and vegetable stew a full-bodied taste in a short cooking time.
1 : Quick Lunch Moroccan Chicken Stew Recipe
- 1 cup quick-cooking couscous
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chiken thighs or breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup sliced shallots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground saffron or ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 6 ounces baby pattypan squash or 1 1/2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 cup slender baby carrots, tops trimmed, or packaged peeled baby carrots
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup golden or dark raisins
- fresh mint (optional)
- Cook couscous according to package directions, except omit oil and salt; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet heat oil over medieum-high heat. add chicken, shallots, and garlic to skillet. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl combine salt, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, saffron or turmeric, and ground red pepper; sprinkle evenly over chicken mixture in skillet. cook and stir for 2 minutes more or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- Cut any large pieces of sqouash or zucchini and carrots in half; add to skillet along with broth and raisins. Bring to boiling. Simmer, covered, for 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are crip-tender. Serve stew over couscous. If desired, garnish with fresh mint. Makes 4 servings.
2 : Spicy Vegetable Enchiladas: Lentils and fresh vegetables wrapped in tortillas make these enchiladas a meal unto themselves.
- 1/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry lentils,einsed and drained
- 8 6- or 7- inch flour tortillas nonstick cooking spray
- 2 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash, quartered lengthwise and sliced (2 cups)
- 2 teaspoon chili powder or 1 teaspoon dround cumin
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat monterey jack cheese (4 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
- In a medium saucepan combine water and drained lentils. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Drain lentils; set aside.
- Meanwhile, wrap tortillas tightly in foil. Heat in a 350° oven for 10 minutes to soften. Lightly coat two quarters source for rectangular oven with non stick cooking spray; aside.
- Lightly coat a large cold skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Stir-fry the carrots for 2 minutes. Add zucchini or summer squash and chili powder or cumin; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetable are crip-tender. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in lentils half of the undrained stewed tomatoes, 1/4 cup of the cheese, salt , if desired, the hot pepper sauce.
- Divide vegetable mixture evenly among warm tortillas; roll up tortillas, arrange tortillas, seam side down, in prepared baking dish. Lightly coat tops of tortilas with nonstick spray. Bake, uncovered, in a 350° oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until heated through and tortillas are.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan heat remaining undrained tomatoes. Spoon over enchiladas; top with remaining cheese. Makes 4 servings.
Enjoy… quick lunch recipes